Since 2002, FoLLI (the Association for Logic, Language, and Information) has awarded the E.W. Beth Dissertation Prize to outstanding dissertations in the fields of Logic, Language, and Information. We invite submissions for the best dissertation which resulted in a Ph.D. degree awarded in 2018.
Nominations of candidates are admitted who were awarded a Ph.D. degree in the areas of Logic, Language, or Information between January 1st, 2018 and December 31st, 2018. Theses must be written in English; however, the Committee accepts submissions of English translations of theses originally written in other languages, and for which a PhD was awarded in the preceding two years (i.e. between January 1st, 2016 and December 31st, 2017). There is no restriction on the nationality of the candidate or on the university where the Ph.D. was granted.
The prize consists of:
- a certificate
- a donation of 2500 euros provided by the E.W. Beth Foundation
- an invitation to submit the thesis (or a revised version of it) to the FoLLI
Publications on Logic, Language and Information (Springer).
How to submit
Only electronic submissions are accepted. The following documents are required:
- The thesis in pdf format (ps/doc/rtf not accepted).
- A ten-page abstract of the dissertation in pdf format.
- A letter of nomination from the thesis supervisor (see below). Two additional letters of support, including at least one from a referee not affiliated with the academic institution that awarded the Ph.D. degree.
- Self-nominations are not admitted: each nomination must be sponsored by the thesis supervisor. The letter of nomination should concisely describe the scope and significance of the dissertation and state when the degree was officially awarded. Nominations should contain the email contact details of the nominator.
All documents must be submitted electronically on EasyChair site (to be announced). Hard copy submissions are not allowed.
The prize will be awarded at the ESSLLI summer school in Riga.
The deadlines and the composition of the committee will be published in January 2019.